This post traces the floor repairs from the moment we saw the problem, until we finally got it fixed.
The initial damage.
Because we were getting visitors, we had to do an emergency patch.
(We were ably assisted Mark Williams and a number of craftsmen from the Riviersonderend area. Equally Munir Davids for technical advice.)
After the visit, we had to do a very careful assessment of the state of the floor, so we lifted the floor boards
The white on the bearer is dry rot. It was everywhere.
So we lifted the entire floor.
Which allowed us to see the extent of the problem. The water actually rises out of the soil under the house.
The water rose nearly 2 cm while we were there one night.
While we were about it, we stripped the walls of the layers of paint, mostly enamel and whitewash.
Then we built pillars to support the bearers and a plinth for a fire place. We also decided to rewire the place.
We laid sand and thick plastic sheeting to keep the water out. Then the wood started to go in.
Then the flooring was taken in and allowed to acclimatise.
We installed an extractor fan to keep the humidity and hence the dry rot out. The fan runs for an hour every day,
Then the floor was in. Not sanded or sealed but in.
And our lights were also fitted.
Two very happy people.